Today you’re five. Today is one of those thresholds. You are entering a whole new stage of life. Five is a big year. Five is kindergarten, loose teeth, reading, school buses, bikes with pedals, new friends, long days away from home, writing. Five is big.
Yesterday you were four and you were still a small little child. Today you are five and you look like a whole new girl to me. I have to be honest and say that my heart hurts a little bit when I look at you. You are a well-spoken, creative, brave soul. Not much of that little baby from five years ago remains. Your legs are long and strong. Your fingers are precise and careful. Your eyes are clear and focused. Your voice is loud and determined. You are five.
You are growing up quickly and it makes me miss my baby. But, Alma, I wouldn’t change it for anything. Those baby days are gone, but I’m so happy about five. I’m so excited to see all those things happen this year, but you will always be my baby.
My wishes for you this year:
- You make new friends and keep the old
- You are the kid in your class who welcomes everyone
- You learn to read and enjoy it
- You lose teeth with courage
- You fall down and you get back up
- You keep sitting in my lap and coming to me for comfort
- You have compassion
- You stand up for people who need it
- You smile
- You dance
- You sing
- You laugh
- You know you are deeply and gracefully loved.
Alma, my little love, have fun being five.
All my love,