We moved into our house in 2009. Ever since, we’ve been trying to improve our backyard, making it beautiful, useful, and fun.
This is basically our to do list:
Dig up gravel in RV parking Build beds, and plant vegetable garden in RV parking spot Clean up back fence area – chickens Build chicken fence/ coops Rebuild front fence that blew over in 2011 Plant berry patch – blueberries, raspberries, strawberries Make grass nice, and keep it green Outdoor seating
- Plant flower garden (started)
- Fun (ongoing)
We have accomplished a lot of our long term goals! Yay!
Here is our current, seasonal list:
Build up pea supports
- Weed around blueberries
- Clean up herb bed, tomato bed
- Plant basil
- Plant tomotoes
- Plant more lettuce
- Weed patio
See our crazy herb garden?!
The main things I have wanted to do in order to make the backyard pleasant are done.
- Back where the chickens are used to be totally overgrown with weeds and blackberries. No joke, we got the chickens to keep the weeds away. We don’t even really like eggs. They do their job and I love how the eat weeds.
- Build a fence and gate to the front yard. We used reclaimed wood from my dad’s old deck to build our fence. We wanted to make it look interesting, so we went with the diagonal design. It’s pretty, and it keeps Alma in the backyard. Win- win!
- Plant a garden with yummy food – especially berries.
We have already spent a lot of time in the backyard. Alma and Harriet both love the pool, the green grass, the sprinkler, the flowers. Alma loves being able to go get her own berries.
I have never loved summer, but I kind of feel like summer is awesome this year. I guess all I needed was a place in which to love it!